On this episode, Bucks County Beacon Editor Cyril Mychalejko welcomes Jeff Sharlet to the show. Jeff (@JeffSharlet) is the bestselling author or editor of eight books, including The Family, made into a Netflix documentary series. He’s the Frederick Sessions Beebe ’35 Professor in the Art of Writing at Dartmouth College and a contributing editor to Vanity Fair. His newest book is The Undertow: Scenes from a Slow Civil War, described by The New York Times as “riveting”and The Washington Post as “journalism-as-art.” We talk about his new book and the growing fascist threat to American democracy.
Host Cyril Mychalejko’s 5 Book Recommendations to Further Shine a Light on the Issue (in addition to Jeff’s new book)
- How Fascism Works: The Politics of Us and Them, by Jason Stanley
- Saving History: How White Evangelicals Tour the Nation’s Capital and Redeem a Christian America, by Lauren R. Kerby
- The Flag and The Cross: White Christian Nationalism and the Threat to American Democracy, by Philip S. Gorski, Samuel L. Perry
- A Field Guide to White Supremacy, by Kathleen Belew and Ramon A. Gutierrez (editors)
- No Pasarán! Antifascist Dispatches from a World in Crisis, by Shane Burley (editor)
The Signal is produced by Kevin Mahoney, Raging Chicken Media.
Music by Maf é Tulà and Cartas a Felice, “La Loca.” Panela Music.
Follow us on Twitter: